Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The Eternal Quest

Contentment is such a key to making it through life. In fact godliness with contentment is great gain, Paul said. Great gain is out there just waiting to be scooped up by those who hold these attributes. The godliness portion I will leave out at this point, mostly because that is for us to figure out as individuals as we follow after God. The contentment portion though, is a hot topic for me right now. Right now as things are falling apart around me. Temporal things will always fall apart eventually,(yes, even iMacs ;) ), this is the only promise they hold. It does not matter what the ad campaign says, what the dude with all the best gear says and especially not what your esthetician says, it will all fall apart.
The thing of it is that we all have this stuff to varying degrees and it is all decaying at various degrees. So what will happen if our contentment is hinged upon these things? The obvious post-Christmas answer is that we will bloat up with despair and die miserable. The degree to which we can financially afford to hold off this inevitable decree is the degree to which we will remain blinded and to some extent the lifespan this cycle will live in within us. Basically the more money you or I have the more toys we can buy to keep the 'thing' from dying. The underlying question here is 'What is the "thing" and what will keep it alive?'
The thing is the immortal which dwells within. It is the part of our makeup which is eternal. I could say soul or spirit, but those words are so over used that a lot of their meaning has been wrung out over a myriad religious arguments. I prefer to call it the eternal component of our being because this helps me to keep in mind the shelf life of this thing. This also helps to make it clear why temporal things will never fill this thing and help it achieve the contentment it desires. I feed my organic person with (mostly) organic food because those systems integrate. If I feed my organic person inorganic food (or McDonald's) I will die because the two systems are not integrated. Square peg round hole, right? So the eternal part of me must need something eternal to feed on to satisfy it. It must find a system which will integrate with its own. I may attempt to feed it with relationships with other beings containing an eternal component, but this will be largely doomed to failure. Not to say that there is not a contentment and feeding which is derived from relationships, but to feed solely from a diminishing source is futile as an end in itself.
So then I am left with one alternative. I must find a self sustaining eternal source from which to derive the nourishment I need to have this peculiar contentment which does not need stuff. This source then can only be God. He alone is the self-sustaining, eternal fountain of life. It is He alone who can fill the insatiable hunger of my spirit. Insatiable because it only follows that if a body has an appetite roughly proportional to its size (except at Christmas) then an eternal body must have a very large appetite indeed.
So let us belly up to the Lord and partake freely of the life that only He can give and thereby sustain the only life we will keep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must state that I am niether a poet nor a writer as such, so hear me out and I assure you I will try to communicate my point.

In terms of finding a "hidden treasure so to speak, rather a hidden treasure for the soul, I found Yahweh's eternal Torah (his instruction, erroniously translated as 'law' in english...{which completely misses the mark}[pun intended]) to be the lost treasure of choice in my life. Or should I say, once lost.

There exists a gross misconception of sorts in regards to the view that what is good is gone.

Exo 12:49 One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you.

What is relevant here is that the same law "Torah" (which means instruction) applies not only to the Israelite but to the one who sojourned amongst Israel.

Deu 32:46 And he said unto them, Set your hearts unto all the words which I testify among you this day, which ye shall command your children to observe to do, all the words of this law.

Just wait...

Jos 1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

Start to think...why was the law given in the first place. It was never a burden, rather it was a gift, instruction on holy living.

2Ki 10:31 But Jehu took no heed to walk in the law of the LORD God of Israel with all his heart: for he departed not from the sins of Jeroboam, which made Israel to sin.

As we know, sin is defined as transgression of the law.

2Ki 17:34 Unto this day they do after the former manners: they fear not the LORD, neither do they after their statutes, or after their ordinances, or after the law and commandment which the LORD commanded the children of Jacob, whom he named Israel;

This is relevant as to whom Israel is today.

1Ch 16:17 And hath confirmed the same to Jacob for a law, and to Israel for an everlasting covenant,

Remember for Jer 31: 31-33

2Ch 15:3 Now for a long season Israel hath been without the true God, and without a teaching priest, and without law.

Again, showing Israel's tendancy to be apostate.

Psa 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

Psa 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

Psa 37:31 The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide.

Psa 40:8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

Very important, again be mindfull of Jer:31...

Psa 78:5 For he established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, which he commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children:

Psa 78:10 They kept not the covenant of God, and refused to walk in his law;

Psa 89:30 If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments;

Psa 94:12 Blessed is the man whom thou chastenest, O LORD, and teachest him out of thy law;

Psa 105:10 And confirmed the same unto Jacob for a law, and to Israel for an everlasting covenant:

Psa 119:1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.

Psa 119:18 Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.

Psa 119:34 Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart.

Well the psalmist certainly thought highly of Yahweh's eternal law. We know that scripture doesn't contradict itself, so then what of such things that Paul says in Galations and Romand that seem to speak of the law as bondage , done away with or replaced? Is it possible there is something we are not understanding here?

Yahweh speaks very highly of his Torah, only does he oppose the laws and traditions of men that go against, replace or change the laws of Yahweh.

Nowhere is the law (Torah) spoken of negatively. It was alwasys blessings for obedience, curses for disobedience.

We know that Jesus' (Yeshua[which means salvation]) job was to destroy sin, and to bring all of Israel into one.

So no longer is it through the bloodline of abraham, but rather through the shed blood of Yeshua are we considered children of Abrahamn, called a child of God, and by mere definition part of Israel.

As for salvation, Abraham was not saved by works of the law, yet he kept it. As it is with me today, I have rediscovered the blessings of keeping Sabbath, What a loving God who commands us to rest because he rested.

How can we serve Yahweh, unless we know how he wants to be served?

If you love the truth, the truth will set you free from the bondage of sin indeed. To worship in spirit AND in truth...for they are echad (one, united)

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

1Jo 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

1Jo 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

2Jo 1:6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

I trust as you seek Yahweh's truth about his Torah, you will be blessed in every step of your walk. Amen

B.T.

Brad the Dad said...

I believe I see what it is you are getting at, but it is as Pastor Wormbrandt once said that we need to know the Truth. The torah in this case is the truth about the truth, but it is not the Truth itself. Only God himself is the Living Truth. We can know Him through His word, we can learn the way of life through obedience to His word, but we should not mistake the book in our hands for the Living Word. Feeding on the eternal goes way beyond the Bible, although there is no better or other place to start.
I appreciate your grasp of the importance of the law of life, but please do not halt there. See the One who established it all.