Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Po' Ol' Buddha

It stopped me dead in my tracks, which was difficult to do because I was enjoying my first ride on my new mountain bike, but stop I did. It couldn't be helped. As I was biking down Abbott Street which runs along the lake I looked over to see a seemingly forlorn middle-aged man standing and staring at something in his garden. Now being middle-aged alone can cause this kind of condition, but not this time. This time it was the something in his garden which was causing the problem. I rode up closer to take a look while trying to keep my distance so as to not disturb the subject. When I saw what it was he was looking at I automatically reached for my camera to snap what was to be a great shot for this blog. As I fumbled with the settings though, I changed my mind. You see, this gentleman was staring at his three foot tall garden Buddha which was lying on his back. I understand that the rotund fellow is usually reclining, but this was a new one on me. It seemed that Buddha was to be finding a new position in the garden and needed a rest while his owner decided where this should be. I could not help but see the comedy in this, and while I laughed inside I thought to myself 'Good thing I don't have a Jesus crucifix/scarecrow in my garden or I'd be laughing at my own self'. It was at this point that I realised that it would be unfair to the bald bud to snap a pic of him while he was down. Of course if he could have sat his own self back up I would have been snapping bursts and video in a jaw dropping flash, but alas it was not to be. So I took pity on him that day, twice actually. The second time was when I thought that if he could have only known Jesus he would never have been in this predicament to begin with. Po' ol' Buddha.

No comments: